NTH is sourcing AGSUN 8251 directly from the breeder in South Africa. The variety has the following attributes:
- Seed viability is up to 99% germination.
- One Kilogram (I Kgs per Acre seed rate) will plant an Acre at a spacing of 75 by 30 Centimeters.
- High Yielding crop variety between 800 Kgs per acre without Fertilizer and up to 1500-2,500kgs under good agronomic practices or management.
- Drought tolerant variety and noted to mature and yield with minimum of 11 good rains.
- Resistant to Pest and Diseases including Leaf rust, Leaf spot and Anthrank nose.
- High Oil content tested at up to 44%.
- Maturity period between 90 – 95 Days.
- Excellent uniformity in seed formation i.e. the grains harvested from a garden will have uniform size.
- It is a stay green variety i.e. stems remains green even when head is ready for harvest avoiding rotting due to water logging at the back of the head.
- It weighs up to 86kgs a bag compared to 55kgs for the competition.
OUR SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- Through the cooperatives
- Government agencies and Programs e.g. OWC, VODP, NAADS
- Other genuine companies.
- Through NGOs and Partners.
- Individual Farmers
OUR ROLES IN THE VALUE CHAIN OF SUNFLOWER.
- NTH stock and make available Hybrid Sunflower Variety (AGSUN 8251) and other high quality Planting Seeds.
- Provide field extension services through its field extension staff, Cooperative staff and work with district field extension staff in building the capacity of committed youth engaged in Sustainable Agriculture.
- Support the establishment of learning centers in the cooperative areas in form of demonstration gardens/sites to aid technology transfer and diffusion.
- Purchase all the output (sunflower grains) from the Cooperatives.
- Support the cooperatives to access technical and business development services including financial services through NTH own services and linkages with relevant market players.
- Work towards establishing a long term mutual beneficial relationship with farmer organizations/cooperatives based on trust and respect.